Friday, May 11, 2012

Good bye sweet girl

Last week, I had to say good bye to my faithful companion of almost 14 years. Valerie, my black lab, was special; way beyond the normal special. Her intelligence was almost spooky and I used to say that she was my Nani (my grandmother) reincarnated; sent to look after me. And although I'm not really sure if I believe in reincarnation, Val definitely made me wonder. Val survived cancer at 8 years of age, then plagued with bad hips and arthritis. Still that dog had the happiest face ever, she smiled. She brought me remotes, phones, magazines and even a candy bar once. So smart. She loved stuffed animals with squeakers, and never tore them up. She love food, especially french fries which she had for her last lunch.

It was a stroke, I think, that made me make the call. She kept tilting her head to one side and falling down. My Vet is a wonderful man who had been Val's doctor since she was 9 months old. He came to the house to care for her one last time. She was laid her to rest in the back yard under a cedar tree, a river rock from where she used to swim bears her name.

Dogs just want to please, offering us gifts of unconditional love and loyalty; we should all take a lesson. I think we lose a little peace of ourselves with the loss of a pet. But I feel we gain so much more by having had them in our lives.

Before bed, I turn on the light out back and walk out side. A zillion stars shine through the trees. I say good night and I wonder, as I walk away, who will come back to me next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment